Preparation time: 60 Minutes
- 2½ cups heavy cream, divided
- 4 scoops of Chalo Masala Chai premix powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1⅓ cups sweetened condensed milk (from one 14-oz. can), divided
- ½ tsp. kosher salt, divided
- ½ tbsp instant coffee
- Bring 1½ cups cream to a bare simmer in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Add tea mix, stir to combine, then remove from heat and let chill until cold (use an ice bath to speed up the process, if you wish).
- Beat vanilla, the instant coffee, ⅔ cup condensed milk, ¼ tsp. salt, and remaining 1 cup cream in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment on low speed until combined. Increase speed to medium-high and continue to beat until the whisk leaves trails and you have soft peaks and a beautiful, billowy mixture, 2–3 minutes (you can also do this with hand-held beaters and a large bowl).
- Pour chilled Chai cream into mixer bowl (no need to wipe out), make sure it’s completely cool. Add remaining ⅔ cup condensed milk and ¼ tsp. salt. Beat on low speed until combined. Increase speed to medium-high and continue to beat until mixture looks just like the first one, 4–5 minutes. Be careful not to overbeat, as it can quickly go from creamy to grainy.
- Scoop mixture into bowl with vanilla base, then gently fold the two together in just a few strokes so that you have big ripples of each. If you fold too many times, you’ll lose the swirls (but don’t worry; the flavor won’t suffer!). Transfer to a large enough loaf pan; smooth top. Cover with plastic wrap and freeze at least 6 hours.
- Let ice cream sit at room temperature 5–7 minutes, then use an ice cream scoop dipped in hot water to distribute scoops among bowls.
Do Ahead: Ice cream can be made 1 week ahead. Keep frozen.Original recipe by Bon Appetit Magazine