An amazing and easy to make soup. Based on creamy coconut milk, red lentils mingled with roasted beets and yummy, caramelized butternut squash. A warm and hug in a bowl dish with subtle aromas of Chalo Cardamon Chai Premix.
Preparation time: 45 Minutes
- 2 medium whole beets, scrubbed and ends trimmed
- 1 butternut squash, washed and diced
- 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup dry red lentils
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1 scoop of Chalo Cardamon Chai premix
- Pinch of fresh ground nutmeg
- 1 can of full-fat coconut milk
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 205°C. Wrap the whole, scrubbed beets loosely in tinfoil. Place on a baking sheet. Toss the diced squash in olive oil and scatter on the same baking sheet. Roast at 205°C for about 30 minutes. Stir the squash at 15 minutes. After 30 minutes, transfer the squash to bowl for later and turn over the beets.
- Allow the beets to cook for an additional 15-30 minutes, until fork tender. Remove when done and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large soup pot, bring the lentils and vegetable broth to a boil, stirring occasionally. Make sure to watch it or it could boil over.
- Reduce to low and simmer for about 15 minutes. Then, remove from heat.
- In a medium frying pan, heat olive oil over low. Add the onion and garlic and sauté a few minutes. Next, add in the turmeric and cardamon Chalo Chai premix powder, stirring well and scraping up the bits on the bottom of the pan. Sauté for about 8 minutes, until the onion begins to brown. Once lentils are done, add the coconut milk through and including the salt to the lentils and broth. Also, add the squash and the onion mixture.
- Mix it all in a blender.
- When the beets are cooled, dice and add to the soup.
- Serve hot! Bon Appetit!